The Practice of Optometry Under Indiana Law
This course qualifies for 2 hours of IOB CE Credit.
Indiana OPTOMETRY has prepared this course to help practitioners to meet the requirements for license renewal. This course provides an overview of federal and Indiana statutes and rules that govern the practice of Optometry in Indiana and meets the requirements of the Indiana Optometry Board (IOB) for two hours of credit under the IOB’s rules, as provided below. Twenty (20) hours of continuing education is required for renewal of an optometry license. As part of the twenty (20) hour requirement Optometrists are required to complete two (2) hours of continuing education in any of the following areas:
(1) Medical charting.
(2) Billing and coding.
(3) Health care compliance.
(4) Compliance with federal or Indiana state laws or regulations.
Course Learning Objectives:
- To understand the regulatory process and how it governs the practice of Optometry in Indiana
- To review the goals, make-up, and responsibilities of the Indiana Optometry Board
- To review the code of professional conduct and to understand the disciplinary process for those optometrists alleged to have violated the law
- To review basic information on laws that impact practice including:
- The Contact Lens Rule and the Eyeglass Rule
- Patient rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Civil Rights Act
- Medical record keeping and patient requests for records
- Continuing education for license renewal
- Medical Malpractice and the Patients Compensation Fund
- Interpreters for Limited English Proficiency Patients
- Auxiliary Aids and Interpreters for Hearing Impaired Patients
IOA Members: $50.00
Course Instructions/Course Access/Test Access
1. Accessing Course: CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE COURSE. You must pay the course fee (see the link below) and receive a score of at least seventy percent (70%) on a 20 question test to receive credit for taking this course. This on-line course is in PDF format.
2. Payment/Taking Test for Credit: You must pay for the course in order to take the test. No refunds will be made for online courses. Certificates of Completion for those who pass the examination will be available to download through this website.
3. Retests: You may retake the test if you failed to receive 70% on the test and wish to to be tested again. There is no charge for retests.
If you have problems accessing the course, paying for the course, or accessing the test, please contact Bridget Sims at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 317-237-3560.