Pain Management and Opioids
This two hour course meets the April 1, 2022 Indiana renewal requirement that all optometrists who hold or apply for a controlled substances registration after July 1, 2019 must have completed two hours of continuing education during the previous two years addressing the topic of opioid prescribing and opioid abuse. All optometrists may take the course to meet the requirements for Legend Drug Certificate and license renewal.
Tracy Offerdahl, PharmD
Greg Caldwell, OD, FAAO
This course qualifies for 2 hours of IOB and Legend Drug Certificate credit.
- Describe the differences between nociceptive pain and neuropathic pain
- List and describe how to interpret pain scales
- Describe the commonly prescribed pain medication classes in terms of mechanisms, side effects, drug interactions, and applicability for pain management
- Novel agents
- Combinations therapy
- When given a patient case, choose an appropriate pain treatment plan for the management of ocular pain, in terms of drug(s), dosing issues, duration of treatment, and a monitoring plan for efficacy and toxicity
- Identify and describe some of the potential signs, symptoms, and behaviors associated with opioid or substance abuse, and describe ways to respond to this issue
- List systems available to evaluate a patient for potential opioid/substance abuse
- Describe the treatment issues and options associated with the treatment of ocular pain in a patient with a drug abuse history
IOA Members: $ 50.00
Non-Members: $ 60.00
Course Instructions/Course Access/Test Access
1. Accessing Course: CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE COURSE. You must pay the course fee (see the link below) and receive a score of at least seventy percent (70%) on a 20 question test to receive credit for taking this course. This on-line course is in PDF format.
2. Payment/Taking Test for Credit: You must pay for the course in order to take the test. No refunds will be made for online courses. Certificates of Completion for those who pass the examination will be available to download through this webisite.
3. Retests: You may retake the test if you failed to receive 70% on the test and wish to to be tested again. There is no charge for retests.
If you have problems accessing the course, paying for the course, or accessing the test, please contact Bridget Sims at email@example.com or at 317-237-3560.